Past Boztography

18 August 2012

Mingo Falls @ Great Smoky Mountain National Park

At approximately 120 feet high, Mingo Falls is one of the highest waterfalls in all of the southern Appalachians. It's located in Cherokee, NC, at the south boundary of Smoky Mountain National Park.


































It's nice that such a magnificent site is just a relatively short 1/2 mile but uphill hike on these wooden stairs.

At the top of the hike is a great little bridge across Mingo Creek.




Rocks and debris just below the falls:




There was a young couple on their honeymoon from Maryland that showed up just after I arrived.  They took this and emailed it to me.  This is a photo of me (right in the middle of the image) with a tripod and provides a little better sense of scale.  


3 comments:

  1. Is it safe to assume you emailed pics to them too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! We're making our first trip to North Carolina next May. You'll need to give me must-sees :) Looks like this is one!
    -Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did indeed have a pic for the couple. It was of them on the bridge and it was great.

    Rox, I've got a list!

    ReplyDelete